Write to your local paper
Express your concerns about the draft Basin Plan.
Letter to the editor contacts:
- Adelaide Advertiser: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Land (NSW): email@example.com
- The Weekly Times (VIC): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stock & Land: email@example.com
- Riverine Herald (Echuca, Vic): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Murray Valley Standard: email@example.com
- Murray Pioneer (Renmark, SA): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lakelander, (Meningie, SA): email@example.com
- River News, (Waikerie, SA): firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are key facts that you might find useful:
- In less than a century, water extraction from the rivers of the Murray-Darling Basin has increased by 500%.
- Healthy rivers and wetlands provide economic benefits to communities and industry in the Murray-Darling Basin worth around $2.1 billion a year
- Near the mouth of the Murray-Darling in South Australia, lack of water-flows, increasing salinity and poor water quality has led to the collapse of businesses and communities: the number of dairy farms near the mouth of the Murray-Darling in South Australia has reduced from 23 to three.
- Returning water to the river will reduce salinity and improve water quality with a benefit of $350m to food production and drinking water treatment in the lower Murray.